HOW TO REPORT A SUSPECTED CASE OF ANIMAL CRUELTY
There are increasing numbers of animal cruelty cases and people who come across them, often don't know how to make an official complaint (denuncia) to the police. Seprona, the environmental arm of the Guardia Civil, has given the Costa Animal Society this set of guidelines on what to do.
There are laws to protect animals from cruelty. They cannot complain when they food food or water, no shade from the sun or rain, or have been tied up on a short chain and then forgotten.
But we can speak for them. Please help.
1. Go to your local Civil Guard bas (Guardia Civil cuartel) Neither the local police nor the National Police handle complaints of this kind.
2. Take as much written information with you as you can. Names, addresses and a map showing where the animal is will help officers easilly to investigate your complaint. .
3. If you don’t speak Spanish, get someone who does to go with you otrcontact your local animal welfare society for help or information.
4. The Guardia Civil will give you a copy of the denuncia, and their copy will be given to Seprona for investigation-
5. Only Seprona will investigate
6. With your copy of the denuncia, it can be followed up later.
Thank you to the Costa Animal Society, Nerja, for this information